ADA Australia encourages all orannisations to use the Speak-up Guides with their clients to assist them take practical steps towards self-advocacy. ADA Australia has provided a version of the Speak-Up Guides where organisations can edit to add their own contact details to be the main point of contact.
These short guides are aimed to help you clients take the first steps to address a range of everyday issues that many people with disability and older Australians tell us they face such as:
- Problems with the disability support or care services
- Dealing with other general services, such as telephone companies or banks
- Getting supports through the NDIS
- Problems for renters and residents
- Getting aged care support
- Options when leaving hospital
There is also a general guide to self-advocacy with common steps and practical tips to speaking for yourself across any situation, and information for people about the role of their formal decision-makers and how they can help.
We hope you find the guides useful and welcome any feedback.