COVID-19 Updates & Resources
ADA Australia


Got a question you need assistance with? Our frequently asked questions might be able to help.

Services and support

What is Advocacy?
Advocacy is the process of supporting an individual to be heard. The individual is placed at the centre of this process and is supported to:

  • Understand and exercise their rights; and
  • Participate, to their maximum ability, in conversations and decisions affecting their life.

Do I have to pay for ADA Australia’s services?
No, our services are free and confidential.

I am not receiving any care or support services. How can ADA Australia assist me?
ADA Australia can provide you with free and independent information about available care options. We may also be able to assist you by:

  • Assisting with and following up referrals
  • Supporting you with assessments
  • Identifying local home care providers and aged care facilities
  • Explaining financial assessments and fees.

Please note, while ADA Australia can provide information on home care providers or aged care facilities, we cannot make recommendations about which provider you should choose, or provide financial or legal advice.

I am receiving care and support services. How can ADA Australia assist me?

If you are receiving care and support in your home or in an aged care facility, ADA Australia may be able to assist you to:

  • Understand your rights and responsibilities
  • Raise and address care-related concerns
  • Communicate your preferences
  • Understand your service level agreement, fees, statements and budgets.
  • Review and negotiate your care plan
  • Make referrals for assessments and additional services

Where ADA Australia is unable to assist, we will refer you to the appropriate service.

Can ADA Australia make my service provider resolve my issue?

No. ADA Australia cannot force a service provider to do anything. However, we can support you to discuss your concerns at a meeting with the service, and assist you to negotiate a resolution, where possible.

If your issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, we can refer you to the most appropriate complaint bodies.

Are ADA Australia’s services confidential?

ADA Australia’s services are confidential. Our advocates will always ask your permission before discussing your situation or concerns with any other parties.

We will do our utmost to protect your confidentiality by being discrete when calling you on the phone or visiting you in person.

Who do ADA Australia talk to?

We take privacy and independence seriously and can only communicate with our clients directly and the people they authorise us to talk to.

Can ADA Australia support clients with impaired capacity?

It is not ADA Australia’s role to assess a client’s capacity. We follow a strict process that ensures clients rights are not compromised by their lack, or perceived lack of ability to give clear direction.

ADA Australia will evaluate whether a person is able to make a decision for the particular matter in question. For example, a person’s capacity to make financial decisions may be limited, but they may still be able to give clear direction about lifestyle matters, such as the types of activities they enjoy or meal preferences.

Can ADA Australia work with carers, family members and friends?

With your permission, ADA Australia can work with carers, family members and friends to raise and address concerns. We can also work with formal decision makers such as your Enduring Power of Attorney.

Anyone can contact ADA Australia for information. If we are unable to assist with your enquiry, will refer you to the appropriate provider or authority.

Aged care

I am living in a nursing home and have an issue I would like to raise regarding my care at the facility. What rights do I have?

The Australian Government’s Department of Health and Ageing’s Charter of Residents Rights and Responsibilities says that every resident of a residential care service has the right:

  • To complain and to take action to resolve disputes
  • To be free from reprisal, or a well-founded fear of reprisal, in any form for taking action to enforce his or her rights.

All facilities should have a complaints procedure in place to deal with any issues or concerns you may have without fear of retribution.

Community care

I am living in my own home and I would like to raise an issue regarding the community care service I receive. What rights do I have?

The Charter of Rights and Responsibilities for Community Care states that those receiving community care from a service provider have the right:

(a) to be treated and accepted as an individual, and to have his or her individual preferences respected
(b) to be treated with dignity, with his or her privacy respected
(c) to receive care that is respectful of him or her, and his or her family and home
(d) to receive care without being obliged to feel grateful to those providing the care
(e) to full and effective use of all human, legal and consumer rights, including the right to freedom of speech regarding
his or her care
(f) to have access to advocates and other avenues of redress
(g) to be treated without exploitation, abuse, discrimination, harassment or neglect.
More information about your rights and responsibilities can be found HERE.

What are my responsibilities when receiving a service in my home?

As a consumer of a community care service you have basic rights and responsibilities. General responsibilities include:

(a) to respect the rights of care workers to their human, legal and workplace rights including the right to work in a safe
(b) to treat care workers without exploitation, abuse, discrimination or harassment.
More information about your rights and responsibilities can be found HERE.

Can my service provider change my service without speaking about it first?

No, you have the right to be informed, to give your views, and to be involved in decisions about your care.


How can ADA Australia’s guardianship service assist me?

ADA Australia’s guardianship advocacy service may provide support to adults whose decision making capacity is being questioned with:

  • Applications for new guardianship and administration orders
  • Reviewing existing guardianship and administration orders
  • Advocacy support at Queensland Civil and Administration Tribunal (QCAT) hearings regarding guardianship and administration matters.


How can I volunteer to help at ADA Australia?

ADA Australia welcomes enquiries from students and volunteers. To register your interest in volunteering with ADA Australia, please send a cover letter and resume to

To find out more about our Advocacy Services go to: