Advance Health Directives for Mental Health
The new Mental Health Act 2016 has commenced in Queensland and your rights are strengthened with this change. You are now able to express your views, wishes, and treatment preferences in a new document called an Advance Health Directive for Mental Health. This allows you to have your say and plan for future health care treatment if you become unwell.
An Advance Health Directive for Mental Health (ADH- MH) is an optional form that enables you to:
- Discuss future mental health treatment and care preferences with your doctor and have a formal document completed to reflect your wishes
- Inform your treating team about your recovery journey plans
- Choose support people you trust to assist in making healthcare decisions for you, should you become unwell. You can also set limits on the decisions they can make.
Ensure your mental health care choices are respected if you become unwell. Consider making an Advance Health Directive for Mental Health for yourself.
See below for information and resources about making an Advance Health Directive for Mental Health.
Below is a webinar recording of the consumer education workshops which were held all around Queensland in 2017. This session can help you understand more about the Advance Health Directives for Mental Health.
More detailed videos about the Advance Health Directives for Mental Health can be found at the links below.
- VIDEO 1: “Completing the AHD for mental health form”
- VIDEO 2: About “Advance Health Directives for Mental Health (QLD, Australia)”
(The webinar and video resources above were developed in partnership with ADA Australia and Queensland Advocacy Incorporated, funded by Queensland Health)
Queensland Health – Consumer resources
- Advance Health Directive for Mental Health Form and Guide – For a direct link go to: Advance Health Directive Guide and Form
- For information and consumer resources on the Mental Health Act 2016 go to: Mental Health Act 2016
- Further information can also be accessed on the Queensland Health website
Mental Health Act 2016 (Qld) – Evaluation site / Feedback
To provide your feedback on the Mental Health Act 2016 (Qld), please click on this link.
To return to the ADA Australia Advance Health Directive for Mental Health main page click here.